To keep your PC running well:-
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date. I recommend an annual subscription product such as Avast Internet Security. However, if you can’t afford to renew a current subscription, don’t let your protection lapse – instead switch the PC to a FREE software such as Avast Free
- Install anti-spyware software – I recommend MBAM Premium which costs £17 (but there is a free version)
- Monitor the health of your hard drive
- Change your online passwords regularly, especially your email accounts such as Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail.
- Keep a regular backup of your files – whether online or using a plug in USB drive.
To help you cope calmly when your PC does have a problem:-
- Ensure your PC has a Windows hologram sticker with the licence key on it. If it’s a laptop, I recommend placing a piece of sellotape over it to prevent it rubbing off.
- If your PC didn’t come with a “Recovery disk” (sadly very few do!), create a set using the software which the manufacturer of your PC (eg. HP or Acer) has built into the Windows menu. You’ll need 4 DVDs for this.
- Keep a file or box with all your CDs and licence keys so that you can (if necessary) reinstall your programs.
- Keep a recent backup of your files, so you can recover an individual file or all your files if necessary.
If you’d like me to help you organise these tasks, please just give me a call or drop me a quick email me at email@example.com (the link opens up your email client)